Get the OverDrive App
Get the Libby App
Visit the South Texas Digital Library
What are eBooks? What does “Overdrive” mean?
eBooks are digital books that you can read on an electronic device, such as a tablet/iPad, computer, Kindle or smart phone. When searching for books in our online catalog, you may see the term “Overdrive.” That means that book is an eBook and can be checked out through our digital library.
How do I read eBooks on these devices?
eBooks come in various formats that can be read on a computer, or on a smartphone or tablet/iPad via the Overdrive app, Libby app or the Kindle app, all free downloads through iTunes or Google Play.
Getting eBooks with OverDrive
1. Download the OverDrive App on your phone, tablet, iPad, etc. and login using your library card number as the login and phone number as the password. Select the Jackson County Memorial Library as your library.
2. Click the “+” box on the main screen to access the South Texas Digital Library. Sign in to your account again using the same login information as before. You can choose to have the device remember your login, if you prefer.
3. Browse the library’s digital collection and borrow a title. Choose “Available Now” as some books may have a wait list. If there is a wait list, you can reserve a book same as at the library.
4. Borrowed titles appear on your bookshelf. You can choose to read with Kindle, read in your browser or download to the OverDrive app. Downloaded books will appear on the main screen in the OverDrive app, as well as in your South Texas Digital Library bookshelf.
5. When you are finished with a book, you can click Return from your bookshelf, or the book will auto-return when the time is up (3 weeks for books, 2 weeks for audiobooks). Some books may be renewable; that option will appear a few days before the book is due, if available.
Getting eBooks with Libby
1. Install the Libby app from the app store, or visit libbyapp.com.
2. In Libby, follow the prompts to find your library and sign in with your library card number and phone number as password.
3. Browse the library’s digital book collection and borrow a title.
4. Borrowed titles appear under Shelf>Loans and download to the app automatically when you’re on WiFi, so you can read them when you are offline.
From your loans, you can:
-Tap Open Book, Open Audiobook, or Open Magazine to start reading or listening
-Tap the due date to see options like Renew and Return.
eBooks for Kindle
1. Follow the instructions for downloading the OverDrive app above and browsing and borrowing a digital library book.
2. In your bookshelf on OverDrive, click the option to read with Kindle. This will open a new window taking you to Amazon. Make sure you are logged in to Amazon in order to download the book to your Kindle device.
3. Click “Get Library Book.” This will download the book to your Kindle device.
4. When you are finished with the book, you can let the book expire in 3 weeks or you can manually return the book by clicking Return in the OverDrive bookshelf.
How do I check out an eBook?
You can search for eBooks in different ways: by searching our online card catalog, by browsing directly in the digital library, or by using one of the eBook apps, OverDrive or Libby.
If you are searching on a desktop, you may want to start in our online card catalog. Log in at the top right corner using your JCML library card number and the phone number we have on file as your password. Then search for the book or author you are interested in.
Look for the words “OverDrive” in the “Location” column, or “OverDrive eBook” in front of the book title in the “Title” column. Click on the title of the book you would like to check out.
Click the “Download this Item” link located underneath the book’s title. This will open a new window taking you to the South Texas Digital Library, where you will be able to download the book. This page also gives you more information about the book, and shows you the lending time for the book. JCML’s lending time is 3 weeks, or 21 days.
Click the “Borrow” button. This will take you to your “Bookshelf,” which displays all the eBooks you have “checked out.”
Click the “Download” button. This will give you a drop-down box displaying all the formats available (i.e. Kindle, PDF). Select the format you would like to download.
If you select “PDF,” your eBook will download as an Adobe PDF file to read on your computer or other compatible devices. Some eMaterials are only available as PDFs or a text file that can only be read in a browser (not downloaded through an app).
If you search for books directly in the South Texas Digital Library, be sure to log in at the top right corner, using the same login information as you would for the JCML card catalog. Select “Jackson County Memorial Library” as your library when prompted. Note: When searching, be sure to click “Available Now” on the left side menu, as some books may already be checked out.
As with the library, you can place eBooks on reserve, and you can add books to a wish list for later reading.
How many eBooks can I check out?
You are limited to 5 eBooks at a time. Once you finish a book, you can return it manually, or wait until the 3 weeks are up and it will return itself.
How do I return my eBooks?
Each book you check out will automatically return itself once the 3 week check out period is up. If you would like to return the book manually in order to check out more eBooks, see below for instructions for your device/app.
I tried logging into the digital library, but it won’t let me. What’s wrong?
It could be one of two things.
Most likely we need to update your account in our system. Our library cards expire each year, which allows us to annually check to make sure we have all your correct information in our system. If your card has expired, we will need you to come in and verify your information so that we can update your account, and then you should be able to log in to the digital library for another year.
Another issue could be we have the incorrect phone number on the account to use as your password. We can verify with you what that information is and make sure it is correct.
If neither of these solves your login problem, give us a call or come in and we can look further into the issue.
Should you have any other questions, or would like one of our staff to help you through this process, please do not hesitate to ask.